3.08.2011

10 on Tuesday, Volume 3

These aren't the real 10 on Tuesday questions. My answers for this week's questions would have been lame-o so my BFF graciously check the archived questions and picked these instead.

1. Fill in the blank. Sometimes I wish my life was more ______.

boring...Like almost everyone else in the world, we work hard to create a balance between work, home, family, friends and giving back. It’s a perpetual struggle to make sure everything gets the attention that it deserves. The easy part? Our kids come first.

2. How do you cure the hiccups?
Plug my nose and drink water. Really, I don’t cure them. I just embrace them and giggle. But if you need advice, watch any sort of kids show – there’s almost always a hiccup episode. For real.

3. What are three of your favorite indulgences?
I associate indulgence with food, naturally, so here it goes.
Mountain Dew – I know, its probably rotting my soul from the inside.
Crab Rangoon – I will never answer a question regarding how many I eat in a sitting.
Pizza – really anything pizza flavored, looking like a pizza or pretending to be related to pizza.

4. Where is the most exotic place you would like to travel to? The most mundane?
Exotic - Africa. I really wanted to go before we had kids, but Gage changed our plans. I wouldn’t trade him for the world. Or Africa.
Mundane - I'd love to go to the Jack Daniels Headquarters sometime with Jack. Why not, right?

5. Does having your time planned out stress you or relax you?
Stresses. Me. Out. I like an outline, but we mostly like to wing it. However, if I do have something planned and it gets nixed or changed last minute it does throw me off. In that respect, I’m a bit like a toddler. With fewer naps.

6. What are your favorite fabrics to wear?
Cotton – is there really anything else? I could definitely use a wardrobe makeover if anyone's interested in styling me.

7. Do you sleep through the night?
Funny you should ask that. We have gotten much better about sleep at our house, but for the past 4 years saying we've struggled to get a good night's sleep would be an understatement. Some children sleep. Others don't. We tried everything, we tried nothing. We asked our doctor. He told us to give him Benadryl. Gage learned to climb in and out of his crib starting at 15 months. He prefers sleeping on the couch so we moved one in his room. It didn't work. At least (at just shy of 4 years old) he's basically able to take care of his sleepless self now. However, if given the chance, I can usually sleep 8 hours, no longer.

8. When you were younger, what did you think you would be doing at this age? How close is that to what you are doing?
Throughout school my answer was almost always that I wanted to teach. In elementary, I wanted to be an elementary teacher. In high school, I saw myself as a band teacher/director (no laughing). Then I decided to teach agriculture. Through it all, I think I realized that I really just wanted to nurture young souls and ultimately, be a mom. How close is it to what I am doing? Well I am a mom, and I do teach, just not in a classroom.

9. What has surprised you most about growing up?
How being married to a great guy can make all the difference in the world. Who knew? (You guys, he does the laundry. All of it.) Also, I always pictured myself raising three or four kids with dark brown hair and eyes. I'm surprised at how perfectly complete our family is with two crazy little boys with hair the bleaches out in the sunshine.

10. Are you good at keeping secrets?
You know it. Though it surprises me how few secrets there are anymore. People are terribly generous with the information they're willing to share. I subbed at the school quite a bit the year after I left and it blew my mind what information those kids were freely offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment